So we've hear all the talk about courses and how much putting them in a cloud based system like LearningZone can benefit your businesses - and mostly, we all agree! Let's see how we can make all these great course intentions come to life:
What's in a course?
Courses in LearningZone are tools to organize several different activities around a similar topic or a series of topics meant to serve a specific group of people.
The learning activities we can use in a course are a blend of E-Learning (like modules or quizzes), signup and registration of face-to-face learning events, social learning opportunities (like forums), and several other resources for self teaching such as documents, presentations, and other types of media. Each course can contain a variety of these activities.
Creating a New Course
Step 1: We first have to reach the course management page by going into 'Site Administration' --> 'Courses' --> 'Manage Courses and Categories'.
Step 2: Select the category your new course will be in (see our article about categories in our Knowledge base) and click 'Add New Course'
Step 3: Now you will reach the course creation page. This page has many settings that can affect how your course works and behaves - don't fret! You have all the information to make the right decisions and selections right here and in our Knowledge base:
General Settings (Remember - some settings may not appear in your Learning Zone system based on system specifications):
- Course Full Name - the course's full name as it will appear in the course catalog
- Course Short Name - the course's name as it will appear in the system's search bar
- Course Category (already selected)
- Course ID - the ID number of the course that can be used to cross reference to other systems.
- Course Summary - a short summary of the course and its contents. This will appear in the course catalog, in the system's search, and many other places
- Course Format - the way in which the course will be formatted. You may select a Topics format for several topics within the course, or a single activity course which will contain only one activity according to your needs.
- Show Grade book to Students - this option let's you decide whether the user may view all his grades from all the activities in the course
Files and Uploads:
- Maximum Upload Size - the maximum size of any file that will be uploded to the course or to a specific activity
- Enable Completion Tracking - this makes completion tracking necessary in order to reveal next/other activities in the course and as a requirement for course completion (and competencies related to this course)
- If you would like to require completion tracking, we recommend marking the box 'Completion Tracking Begins on Enrollment'
- Mark In Progress on First View - this will update the course completion status to 'in progress' the first time a user enters a course
- Add Enrolled Audiences - this allows you to add this course as part of future learnng for audiences set up in the system
A Tip from Us:
In different places in the system, you'll see the icon ; click on it to recieve more specific information!