How Marking Attendance for Learners in Seminar Events Works
Learning Zone allows you to track the attendance of learners in training events. With this feature, trainers and admins can mark who has attended the seminar event, who failed to show, who attended only partially and so on. The attendance status information can also later be used to determine if a user completed the Seminar activity, and to be shown on reports.
The attendance marking process for learners goes like this:
- A learner is added to a seminar event (either through self sign-up or after an approval process)
- The date of the event is reached (attendance can only be marked after the event has started)
- A trainer/admin goes into the seminar activity and marks attendance for the participating users
- If activity completion conditions for the seminar has been set based on attendance status, it is calculated
How to mark attendance for learners
When you are ready to mark attendance for users, you may do so by following these steps:
- View the events in the Seminar Activity within the course, and click the "Attendees" link next to the past one you'd like to mark attendance for (see screenshot 1 below)
- Go to the "Take Attendance" tab (note it is only enabled for events which have already started)
- You may set the attendance status for each user individually using the drop-down field under Current Status, or select several users with the check boxes on the left, and choose the desired status to set for them in the Bulk actions (see screenshot 2 below)
- Click the Save Attendance button to keep the changes
Screenshot 1 - Attendees link
Screenshot 2 - Marking Attendance
Tip: How to upload and mark attendance quickly for a large number of users
When you have training events with a large number of attendees, follow these quick steps to quickly add them to an event and to mark their attendance:
- Click the Attendees link next to the relevant event
- In the Actions control choose either Add Users via File Upload (if you have an Excel/CSV file with all the users who attended the event), or Add Users via List of IDs (if you'd like to paste a list of user IDs who attended)
- Upload the file/Paste the IDs to add the relevant users
- Click the Take Attendance tab
- Select all the users with the Select tool
- Choose the Bulk action - "Fully Attended"
- Click Save Attendance
Marking Attendance and Activity Completion
As mentioned above, a user's attendance status in a seminar event can be used to mark their status in the activity and in the entire course as complete.
To set this up, go to the Seminar activity administration:
- Under Activity completion, choose "Show Activity as Complete when Conditions are met"
- Mark the check box "Fully Attended" (you may add "Partially Attended" status if that counts as enough to complete this specific seminar event) - see screenshot 3
- Save changes. Learners Activity Completion for all events in this seminar will now be tracked based on their attendance status
- If you'd like to make the completion of the seminar activity part of the completion of the entire course, go to Course Administration > Course Completion and add the seminar activity as a course completion condition
Screenshot 3 - Seminar Activity Completion
Article is closed for comments.