One of the great things about LearningZone (besides it being an amazing learning tool for your organization) - is that it's manageable. How so you ask? Well, LearningZone allows us to create Categories; or rather, big sections where we can order our courses and activities and that way, know exactly where to find them later. Ready to add another tool to your belt? Let's do this:
But First - What are Categories?
If courses and programs in the system allow us to organize different learning activities around a specific subject or group of learners, the categories are on a bigger scale; categories allow us to organize different courses and programs into various subjects. We can make as many categories and sub-categories as we would need. This is usually done by the system administrator.
A great example can be the 'On boarding Category' - inside this category, there can be several courses, activities, even certifications of different natures - but they are all under one place so that we can find them in a more efficient manner.
Step 1: To get to the categories homepage by clicking on Site Administration --> Courses --> Manage Courses and Categories. We will then reach the following screen:
In this screen, you'll be able to add new categories, edit an existing category, and manage courses, programs, and certifications inside the categories themselves.
To learn more about courses, programs, and certifications - visit our Knowledge base!
Adding a New Category
Step 1: In order to create a new category, simply press the "create new category" button in the manage categories screen (shown above), and fill out the following specifications:
- Parent Category - This will allow you to decide where you'd like to view the category, or whether you are creating a sub-category for a broader subject. If you'd like to make a whole new category, select 'Top'; if you would like to create a sub-category, select the category this new one will be under.
- Category name - The full name of the category as will appear in the categories catalog.
- Category ID Number - this ID number is only relevant if the content of this category in imported from outside systems that need to recognize said ID number, and will not appear anywhere else in the system itself. If the category has a pre-known ID number, enter it here; if not, you may leave this field blank.
Step 2: After entering all the required fields, press 'Create Category' and it will automatically appear in the categories catalog.
Editing an Existing Category
Step 1: Press the Editing button ( ) besides the category name. This will lead you to several options:
- Editing - here you'll be able to edit the category's name, location, ID number and description
- Create a new subcategory - this will allow you to add a new sub-category to the one you'd like to edit
- Delete - this allows you to delete said category. Before deletion, the system will ask you if you would like to move all sub-categories, courses, programs and certifications to another category or delete them as well. Remember - deleting these items is a permanent act and they cannot be restored.
- Assign Roles - here, you can assign roles to a user within a certain context. Then, the user will be able to complete all courses/programs associated with that role, as well as other below that role. For example, if you sign up a user for a specific course, he will be assigned to that course as well as all the blocks and activities within that course.
- Permissions - Here, you can allow/disallow a certain user from entering your course/program.
- Audiences - this allows you to assign audiences to a category as part of their learning journey.
You can always change the order of the categories shown by clicking the arrows.
For more information about Courses, Activities, Programs and Certifications - visit our Knowledge base! We know you'll find what you're looking for.
Please sign in to leave a comment.